Things you need to know.
There's no cell service in the area...digital maps may not be so handy.
There is a year-round gas station, a few local eateries, the pub, and a small grocery and liquor store (choices are very limited). Best to purchase your food and drink on your way to the cottage in Cowichan or Sooke.
The cottage is a smokeless residence and no smoking is allowed anywhere inside the cottage. Smoking is permitted outside on the deck or the surrounding property (ashtrays are on the deck...please return them to the deck clean).
Fully equipped kitchen: is well stocked with lots of cookware…micro-wave, waffle maker, slow cooker, rice cooker, beer-can chicken holder and drawers full of all the cooking utensils you’ll need. Cupboards/drawers are well outfitted with dishes, cutlery, glasses, pot and pans, containers, foils and wraps. There's lots of small appliances including a toaster, blender, kettle and popcorn maker (kernels are in the cupboard). Please be our quests to the hot chocolate, coffee and tea in the cupboard above the coffee maker. You'll find basic cooking spices, sugar, oil, flour, salt and pepper in the cupboards too. Kitchen linen is in the drawer next to the sink. Garbage bags, soaps and other supplies are in the cupboard under the sink. Extra paper towels are in the laundry room. The kitchen table has pull out leafs that slide out from either end, creating an eating area for eight. You can use the bench in front of the couch or the benches from the entry area as extra seating. There is a high chair stored in the laundry room if you need one.
- Linens: are supplied (*except baby linen). The bedding for the sofa bed is stored in baskets on the linen shelves in the upper level bathroom.
- Towels: are supplied (please bring your own beach towels for surfing or swimming).
- Electric stove and oven: please be sure to use the overhead fan anytime you use the stove-top or oven.
- Fridge: is full size with bottom freezer.
- BBQ; check to see that the valve is open on the propane tank, located outside on the lower patio. The YELLOW valve handle on the right hand side of the BBQ needs to be open as well to ignite the BBQ. All the equipment and utensils are in a blue tub beside the BBQ. Please remember to turn the propane valve off when you are not using it..
- TV's: The living room has a 40" Smart TV with DVD player. There are a few DVD’s on the shelves of the upper TV stand The TV/Games room has a 55" Smart TV. with a 'usb stick' loaded with movies...including the Harry Potter series and Netflix is available on both TV's for your enjoyment. If you have your own devices with you… in the TV cabinet drawer there’s an HDMI cable to connect to the TV. There's no cable-vision.
- Wi-Fi: internet access is provided. You'll be given the username and password before arrival.
- Games, puzzles, books and a WII: may occupy your time on those rainy days.
- Sleeping arrangements: for up to 8 guests. The upper bedroom has a queen bed, a 2nd bedroom has 2 single bunk beds, the 3rd bedroom has a king size bed and both living areas have a queen size pull-out sofa sleeper. *A fold-up (pack'n play) crib/bassinette is stored in the laundry room. Please supply your own baby linens.
- Full bathroom: with soap, shampoo/conditioner, shower caps, toilet paper and hair blower is supplied.
- Washer and dryer: are small apartment size located in the laundry room on the lower level. Laundry soap is supplied. The washer cleans clothes quickly and very efficiently using cold water cycle. The dryer is most efficient with small loads (sometimes I have to divide the washer load into two bundles). Please remember to clean out the filter on the door after each use.
- Outdoor fireplace: firewood is complimentary. You'll find the axe for chopping wood and some fire starter in the blue tub by the stacked wood, extra chairs outside on the lower patio and the outdoor hammock is in the laundry room.
- Keys: for the basement sliding doors are in a blue basket on the wall at the front door.
- A crab trap: is available for your use, just be sure you have a fishing license and familiarize yourself with the rules for catching shellfish. *If you catch fish or crabs, please clean them at the tables provided at the marina.
- Electric heat: is thermostat controlled on the upper level. The lower level thermostats are on the baseboard heaters. When you depart please turn them down to 15 or off when not required.
- Flashlights and batteries: are supplied. Also, candles and matches are in the side table drawers beside the upstairs couch in the event the power goes out (it does happen in Port Renfrew).
- Other provisions: include a 3 step ladder, mop, brooms and dust pan, vacuum, ironing board and iron...all stored in the laundry room.
Just a few more helpful things.
The breaker box: is located behind the 'tall tree' photo in the entry area.
The upper level bedroom: some of the plug outlets are controlled by the switch beside the light switch.
The upper level bathroom: light and fan switches are on the wall just before entering the bathroom.
Our cottage is on a septic system, please, do not pour grease down the sink or toilet as it quickly solidifies and will block the drains. Never flush any disposable paper products other than toilet paper because they do not break down sufficiently to pass through the septic pumps • NO PLASTIC • NO BABY WIPES, NO HAND WIPES, NO DISINFECTANT WIPES. I appreciate your attention to this and thank you for your co-operation.
Pets: are welcome. Please remember to keep your pets on a leash as you explore the community. Please pick up any deposits left behind by your four-legged companions around the cottage and especially in the neighbourhood. There are extra food dishes and plastic bags in the drawer under the shelves at the front door and a pet blanket in the basket under that drawer.
Don't leave any garbage bags on the deck or patio, especially overnight. You’ll attract a variety of critters………..racoons, crows, ravens and bears.